miércoles, 16 de julio de 2014

Translation mistakes (I): tourist brochure

Hi!

Today I'm going to show you, with an example, the importance of the translator's job. I'm going to show you only the introduction of a touristic guide of the Brocéliande forest, in France. I suppose that the source text was in french and this translation into spanish it wasn't made by a translator. I don't speak french, but I don't need it to know that this translation have no sense in spanish. Maybe some of you don't speak spanish, but I think that if some of you have some knowledges of my language, I'm sure that you will find the mistakes.




What do you think about it?

In this translation there are bad spelling (*ayuden nos, *respectar, *gravar en los árboles),
grammatical errors (*prohibido de fumar, *ser en vía de extinción),
morphosyntactic errors (*...no herir sus ocupantes),
and meaningless phrases (*el dominio privado del masivo está abierto a los peatones...)

A person who speak spanish wouldn't write this translation, and neither a person, because I think that is an automatic translation. And when I read this text I think too, that someone has accepted it and has printed it. And that's only the introduction, how many mistakes will be on the complete brochure?

When we faced with such a text, and we know what we are talking about, at first we laugh, because we understand it and we know that is misspelled, but it's really not funny. I, as a translator, what I see is one of the problems of the translation: is not always valued.

If you want to see my proposed translation into spanish, or rather, a correction, click here.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario